We will assess your injury claim We will assess your injury claim

Compensation for an Acoustic Shock Injury in a Factory

Am I able to claim compensation for an acoustic shock injury in a factory? I was recently injured in work after a loud ringing in my left ear caused me to suffer hypersensitivity. As a result of the injury I am unable to carry on in my present role as a call centre worker.

You may be able to claim compensation for an acoustic shock injury in a factory if you can prove that the injury was sustained as a result of negligence on the part of your employer. Acoustic shock, a sharp screech in the ear which occurs primarily during telephone conversations, is a major issue among call centre workers in the UK and when suffered can leave workers with a range of ear problems such as tinnitus, ear pain, and as in your case, hypersensitivity.

In order to pursue an ear ringing factory accident claim you must be able to prove that your employer is at least partially responsible for your injury. Every employer in the UK has a duty of care towards their employees and is obliged to implement measures aimed at safeguarding the health and well-being of their employees.

Under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, an employer is obliged to provide safe equipment for their employees. If it is the case that your injuries were caused as a result of using faulty or outdated headsets, your employer may be able to be held liable for your accident. Although it is not possible to stop the electrical feedback which causes these sounds to stop altogether, it is possible to limit their effect — most modern headsets are equipped with acoustic limiters, which are capable of limiting the amount of noise which passes through the sets to 118 decibels. If you believe a headset fault contributed to your injury, you should alert the call centre’s management at the first possible opportunity in order to ensure that no other workers suffer the same ear hypersensitivity injury.

Proving that an employer is at fault for your injury is not easy and is best done with the help of an experienced personal injury claims solicitor. Not only will a personal injury claims solicitor be able to assist you in your claim for compensation for an acoustic shock injury in a factory, they will as also be able to assess your chances of being awarded compensation and may be able to provide an estimate as to how much compensation you may be awarded.