We will assess your injury claim We will assess your injury claim

Holidaymaker Makes Claim for Food Poisoning at a Moroccan Resort

April 26, 2016

A holidaymaker is making a claim for food poisoning at a Moroccan resort after being diagnosed with campylobacter on his return from a holiday in Marrakech.

In order to celebrate James Gratton´s fifty-first birthday in March, James and his wife Paula booked a week´s holiday at the Medina Gardens Hotel in Marrakech. Several days into their holiday, James started to complain of stomach pains, a high temperature and diarrhoea. His condition deteriorated during the rest of the holiday and he was in significant distress when the couple flew home to Heanor in Derbyshire.

On their return, James called NHS Direct. He was advised to go to his local hospital, where he was prescribed medicine to help him cope with his symptoms. However, James continued to feel ill and was unable to carry on working as an HGV driver. Following a visit to his GP and providing a stool sample, he was diagnosed with campylobacter food poisoning contracted from eating poorly prepared chicken.

James sought legal advice and made a claim for food poisoning at a Moroccan resort against TUI UK Limited trading as First Choice Holidays – the tour operator through which James and Paula had booked their holiday in Marrakech. James alleged in his claim that there had been a failure to maintain acceptable food standards at the resort and, as a result, he had contracted campylobacter food poisoning.

Speaking with the Ripley and Heanor News about his claim for food poisoning at a Moroccan resort, James said: “We booked this holiday as a way of celebrating my birthday and we’d been looking forward to it for a long time. But, in truth, it turned into a nightmare for both of us. I had to take some extra time of work to recover from the symptoms and I still don’t feel completely right.”

An investigation has now started into James´ allegations. A spokesperson for First Choice Holidays would only comment: “First Choice is sorry to hear of Mr and Mrs Gratton´s experience.”