We will assess your injury claim We will assess your injury claim

Family Claim Compensation for Scalding in a Hotel Shower

November 12, 2015

The family of a woman, who died from injuries sustained in an accident at the Premier Inn, has made a claim for compensation for scalding in a hotel shower.

In the summer of 2012, Kalyani Uthaman (59) from Bangalore in India was staying at the Premier Inn in Newcraighall while she was on a sightseeing holiday in Edinburgh. While staying at the hotel, she was scalded when taking a shower and suffered burns to 25% of her body. Kalyani died six weeks later in hospital due to multiple organ failure.

Kalyani´s death was attributed by doctors to the degree of burns she sustained in the accident. Investigations into Kaylani´s death were conducted by the police and Edinburgh City Council, but the Crown Office decided that a fatal accident enquiry was not “in the public interest”.

Annoyed that they still had unanswered questions, the Uthaman family have now made a claim for compensation for scalding in a hotel shower, and a summons has been issued to Whitbread PLC – the owners of the Premium Inn budget hotel chain.

A date of November 20th has already been set for the initial hearing of the claim – a “significant milestone” according to the family´s solicitor. A spokesperson for Premier Inn also released a statement to the press in which the hotel chain said; “Our thoughts are with the family of Ms Uthaman during what must have been, and which must remain, an extremely difficult period for them.”

However, the statement was dismissed by the family for being the first communication from Whitbread PLC for over two years. Kalyani´s son – Sundar – told BBC Scotland “It is an irreparable loss, given the love and affection she had for us and we had for her. It was something none of us expected would ever happen in a very safe country like the UK.”