September 13, 2016
A couple from Stockton Heath in Cheshire are making a holiday campylobacter food poisoning claim one year after an illness ruined their vacation in Crete.
Last summer, William and Leanda Kidley booked a holiday at the Katrin Suites in Crete through tour operator Thomas Cook. The holiday in the resort town of Stalis was going well until a few days before the couple were due to fly back to the UK, when William started to exhibit flu-like symptoms and suffer from nausea.
On the day the couple returned home, William started suffering from diarrhoea. He visited the family´s GP who referred him to Warrington General Hospital for tests. The tests revealed that William was suffering from campylobacter food poisoning and he was admitted into hospital for a week to receive treatment.
After he was well enough to leave hospital, William and Leander sought legal advice. The couple allege that William´s illness was attributable to a poor standard of hygiene at the all-inclusive hotel, and claim they saw insects flying around uncovered food during the day and that their food was frequently undercooked in the evenings.
Solicitors representing the couple in their holiday campylobacter food poisoning claim have got an agreement from Thomas Cook that, if a connection between the hygiene at the Katrin Suites and William´s illness can be established, the tour operator will admit liability and settle the claim.
Speaking to her local newspaper about the holiday campylobacter food poisoning claim, Leander said: “The last thing we ever expected when we booked the holiday was for either of us to end up in hospital going through tests to find out exactly what was wrong. William missed time off work because of the problems he was having and it took him a long time for his stamina to improve and even now he has not made a full recovery.”